Through the generous support of the National Science Foundation (NSF), the MECHANISM Scholars Program will provide both scholarship and academic support for academically talented students who apply for financial aid, demonstrate financial need, plan to major in mathematics or science, and are US Citizens or Permanent Residents. The Program will allow Pitzer College to provide 16 students, 8 each from students entering in 2015 and 2016, with up to four years of scholarship support, as long as the student remains in one of the targeted majors and in good academic standing. The scholarship, when combined with the other federal, state and institutional grant programs, will result in a grant heavy financial aid package that will allow MECHANISM Scholars to attend Pitzer with significantly smaller student loan amounts than would normally be assumed.
The scholarship is funded through the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) program of the NSF with the goal of enabling scholarship recipients to enter the STEM workforce or a STEM graduate program upon successful completion of their degree.
Note: to fill out the application, first download and save the PDF, and then fill in your responses. Please write your name and Common Application ID number on all of your application materials.
Dates and Deadlines
- February 1, 2015 – Applications for the MECHANISM Scholars Program are due via email to email@example.com.
- February 25, 2015 – Admission counselors and faculty review MECHANISM applications.
- March 20, 2015 – Decision letters for the MECHANISM Scholars Program are mailed.
- Students who file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE, and submit all financial aid requirements by the posted deadlines. Students must qualify for financial aid.
- US Citizens or Permanent Residents
- Students who possess an academic aptitude for science & mathematics based on course work, grades, recommendation letters and extra-curricular activities.
- Students who demonstrate an interest in majoring in math or science.
How do I apply?
- Students may apply to the MECHANISM Scholars Program by clicking here.
- The MECHANISM application consists of one short essay regarding your interest in the STEM fields and your career goals.
- Students must complete the Common Application and submit all financial aid documents on time.
- The MECHANISM application is due on Sunday, February 1, 2015.
- Students must include their full legal name and Common Application ID number on all application materials.
- To fill out the application, download and save the blank form BEFORE filling it out. Fill out the form and save it again before submitting it to Pitzer.
- All applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I maintain eligibility?
- Be enrolled full time in a mathematics or science degree program at the College. Enrollment must be full-time for each semester a student receives the scholarship.
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher, both overall and in one’s major.
- Participate in most of the Program activities, with reasonable exceptions.
- Reapply for financial aid each year by the posted deadlines.
Features of the Program
MECHANISM is an acronym for Mentors Enable, Connect, Help, Advocate, Nurture, Intervene, Sustain, and Motivate. It reflects the process by which our dedicated faculty, staff, and student mentors, using the research findings from Pitzer Professor Roberta Espinoza’s book Pivotal Moments: How Educators Can Put All Students on the Path to College, will provide MECHANISM Scholars with significant support and guidance in order to ensure optimal use of educational resources and learning experiences available here at Pitzer College. These resources and experiences include: