For study abroad programs offered during the academic year by Pitzer College, non-Pitzer students are charged a comprehensive study abroad fee. Please contact email@example.com for the current year’s fee. The comprehensive fee covers: tuition, room, board, round-trip airline ticket from Los Angeles, Chicago, or New York, (depending on the location of your home school), required course-related trips, evacuation and travel insurance as provided by the International Student Identity Card (ISIC), transcripts, as well as the overall cost of providing and supporting study abroad at Pitzer College.
Some costs connected with overseas studies are NOT included in the fees paid to Pitzer and should be considered in the student’s budget planning. Expenses that are the student’s responsibility include the following:
- fees for a passport and student visa
- medical insurance coverage while abroad (required)
- the medical exam required prior to participation
- the dental exam recommended prior to participation
- immunizations recommended for participation
- additional airfare costs incurred for special itineraries
- travel expenses to and from the airport (bus, taxi, train, etc.) either in the US or in the host country
- cost of housing and meals before or after the program or during school break periods or independent travel
- housing or damage deposits (these will be refunded to you at the end of the program if you do not cause any damage)
- expenses for items or services that are not typically provided on the program but to which students may be accustomed (e.g. telephones in rooms, email/internet access, access to computer labs, gymnasium and sports facilities, etc.)
- field trips that are not a required part of a course
- expenses for items that are not covered in fees paid to Pitzer (e.g. books, personal entertainment, toiletries, long distance phone charges, laundry charges, independent travel during school breaks, etc.).
- Fees for travelers checks, ATM fees, or conversion fees charged by credit card companies
Students are advised to be attentive to a difference in the cost of living and the exchange rate which may affect their budget.
Pitzer provides each non-Pitzer study abroad participant a round-trip airline ticket for travel from Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, (depending upon the location of your home school), or an equivalent priced airport, to the international airport nearest to the program site for exact dates of the program. Students are REQUIRED to book their flights with the travel agent designated by Pitzer College. Tickets purchased with frequent flier miles, through other travel agencies, on-line, or directly from the airline CANNOT be reimbursed or credited to student accounts.
Students will work directly with Pitzer’s designated travel agent to finalize their tickets by the date indicated in their acceptance letters. It is not necessary to depart from or return to Los Angeles, Chicago or New York, but the cost of such a ticket is the maximum amount the College will pay for airfare. The travel agency will bill Pitzer for the approved ticket. Students will pay the travel agency directly for the additional costs of an itinerary that is more expensive than the approved flight.
The following items may increase the cost of a ticket. Students will only be charged for actual overages.
- Late travel arrangements – If a student misses the date indicated in his/her acceptance letter, any additional cost for the delay will be the student’s responsibility.
- Travel dates that vary from the dates of the program, including going early or staying after the program ends
- Indirect routing or stopovers through other cities or countries of interest
- Departure from or return to airports other than Los Angeles or equivalent priced airport.
- Open return tickets
- Extra luggage charges – Luggage restrictions can be changed by the airlines without notice.
- Transfer charges to and from airports
- Replacement of lost tickets
- Charges for changing the ticket after it is issued
- Use of the travel agency after hours emergency service number – $25 per call.
Pitzer financial aid is not available for non-Pitzer students. Non-Pitzer students should consult their own institution’s study abroad office regarding possible aid available.