Please note that this web page will be updated by the end of Fall 2014. The application deadline for the 2015-16 academic year will be sometime in early to mid March 2015.
Writing Center Fellows are Pitzer students who consult with fellow writers on projects in any discipline. They receive intensive training in the teaching and tutoring of writing that prepares them to work effectively with student writers.
If you consider yourself a thoughtful reader and writer and enjoy engaging fellow writers in conversations about writing, a position as a Fellow in the Writing Center may be for you. You’ll develop teaching and leadership experience while practicing techniques and habits of mind that will make you a better writer and communicator.
We seek applications from second-year, third-year, and fourth-year students in any discipline—from the humanities to the social sciences to the biological and natural sciences.
Becoming a Writing Center Fellow is a full academic year commitment (or a one semester commitment if studying abroad).
Pitzer Writing Center Fellows
- Are Pitzer students who consult with fellow student writers on writing projects across the disciplines
- Work an average of 3-10 hours per week
- Participate in paid professional development workshops on the teaching of writing, including two full days of professional training on the Saturday following the first week of classes and the Saturday following the second week of classes in the Fall.
- New Fellows take the full-credit Fall 2014 seminar “WRIT100: The Teaching and Tutoring of Writing” (if they didn’t take the course in spring 2014).
- Publicize the Writing Center around campus
- Serve as leaders of writing on campus with opportunities to become involved in a variety of teaching initiatives
- Gain experience that builds communication, leadership, and teaching skills relevant to a wide range of careers.
- Earn $9.00/hr. (work-study and non-work study)
To apply for the 2014-15 academic year, please send a 1-2 page cover letter explaining why you’d like to be a Writing Center Fellow and confirming you can commit to the responsibilities, a resume, and unofficial transcript to email@example.com no later than March 3, 2014. Two Information Sessions will be offered in February 2014.